Friday, November 11, 2016

Educated Yorkshire

A Review of the education show in Leeds today.


Hi Everyone,

This year has seen me attend a record number of shows despite my insane workload on both Worlds End – Volume 2 – A Hard Reign’s Gonna Fall and Creative CurriculumComics.

Recently in September I was asked to speak to a room of educators at an early years event at Salford University where we exhibiting the new comics, plus out other products, as Direct-Ed.

I was amazed at the response I received, especially from the speaker, Richard House, Ph D., C. Psychol, AFBPsS, Cert. Couns., that had gone before me – I was the last one to speak at the event.

I was asked to do a similar, but shorter version of that same speech yesterday at Educated Yorkshire. Like the show in September it was a great honour to represent the worlds of comics and speak about Comics in the Classroom and although risking a gong if the speech became a sales pitch managed to use subtlety to slip mentions for the new Creative Curriculum Comics as well.

It was a fantastic show – little slow up until lunch, but two bad accidents on the M1/A1 and M62 (I think) meant massive hold ups, for people trying to get there. Joe Mugan, my partner in crime with the new educational comics and I had set up the afternoon before and stayed in Leeds overnight. It was the best decision we could have made.

The talk was very well received again, which is always great and some of the folks came back to the stand after it to thank me and to discuss the comics further. We did really well with visitors to the stand throughout the afternoon, which in turn lead to great sales and schools asking me along to visit them as a visiting creator and Joe and I to an awards ceremony too.

The show reaffirmed our belief in our product. I have been saying for decades now that we need to reengage kids.

No one else took up that mantle, so now we have.

We are finally giving something back to the kids, which should never have taken away in the first place – COMICS.

One of the nicest things I saw yesterday and I had mentioned it earlier in my speech, was the sight of one of our visitors to our stand with one of our sample comics in his back pocket, which he had picked up for his young boy. When I made comment on this, it pleased the gentleman in question equally. Years ago this was a common sight amongst children all over the UK.

Overall, despite the lack of footfall earlier, the show was a great success, certainly for Joe and I. Our new trademarked brand is spreading in popularity as we continue to spread the word amongst the teaching fraternity.


I would like to personally thank the delegates that came along to my speech, especially those that took time out of their busy schedules to speak to me about comics both before and after the talk.

On a different note for fans of my little dog; I think Bentley has almost finished his next Blog about his lineage, so he’ll be posting something here soon.


Next show up for me will be Blackburn Comic Con, closely followed by MaltaComicCon, so if you are at either of those, please feel free to come along and say hi and check out the latest pages from Worlds End 2 and my latest product launch, just in time for Christmas the Worlds End Calendar 2017. Oh yes we also have a Creative Curriculum Comics Calendar too.


Until next time, have fun!

Tim…
November 11th 2016

No comments: