Saturday, January 10, 2009

Cure for the Common Cold…

Or strange things do happen…

Hi Guys,

I came across this, which was written as part of a fun email from a while ago and thought I would share this little missive with you guys too.

The best cold cure was arrived at purely by accident and has never been repeated for me and was given to me by my wife, Margaret, way back in 1983.

I was smothered in a cold, I was aching with a raging temperature - yet feeling stone cold, my eyes were streaming...you know the kind of thing.

My wife was pregnant at the time and expecting our first child, who was due at any day now. Due to this I decided to sleep downstairs in front of the roaring fire, hoping to keep Margaret from catching it.

It was around 2:30 a.m. in the morning and I awoke to see Margaret coming through the door and heard these immortal words..."Tim, my waters have broke..."

Well anyone having seen Steve Martin in Father of the Bride 2 will know where this is going...

From being totally under the influence of one almighty cold I was up...totally alert (so much so I could have been appearing with Arnold in one of his action movies with the creature about to attack).

By the time Margaret had been settled in the maternity hospital side room ward the cold was no more than the very occasional sniff.

By around 4:30 a.m. the first rays of June sunlight (a rare event here in the UK) came over the horizon outside the window and the sniffs were almost forgotten. The view outside was wonderful and the grounds to the hospital, sadly no longer there, were full of baby rabbits. It was like something out of an animated film.

By 6:30 a.m. with my wife about to give birth the cold was gone and a new ailment struck...of a kind...it was just a pain really as Margaret tried to snap my arm off at the elbow.

One of the midwives asked, "Are you alright?" I figured she meant my wife and I said yes I thinks she's doing okay...

The mid wife then explained..."No I meant you. You look like your arm is about to come off".

So the best cure I have ever had for a cold came in the little package that was my daughter, Joanne.

Trouble is you need to time this kind of thing exactly right, because I have had colds and flu since, but never managed to repeat the cure...

I was fine when Simon was born, although on the day I had a deadline to meet for a cover of Thundercats for Marvel UK and being better prepared the second time around, I ended up inking it whilst we waited in the hospital.

The deadline was met from inside the ward and later that morning a second little package in the shape of my son, Simon arrived.

If any of you guys have been feeling under the weather, and I know that here in the UK there have been some major bugs going around lately, I sincerely hope you are feeling better now.

Until next time have fun!

Tim Perkins…
January 10th 2009

No comments: