Monday, December 07, 2009

Seasonal Family Films Part 01…

A look at some of my all-time favourite, festive films…

Hi Guys,

Today, I thought I would like to share some of my favourite Christmas films with you starting with my all-time favourite, A Christmas Carol starring Alistair Sim.

This 1951 film adaptation of Charles Dickens’ novella, has stayed with me, as my all-time favourite, since first seeing it as a young child on TV, although I do admit I have a fondness for both the Disney’s A Christmas Carol and also Jim Henson’s Muppet’s Christmas Carol too and I like the look of the new Jim Carrey version too out at the moment at the cinema.

The authenticity and attention to detail of the props, costumes and even the haircuts, elevates it above similar period piece films.

For me, in spite of several versions of the story being produced since this one, none have come as close to adapting the book, despite the additional scenes added to the film, which were not in the original story. These only serve to drive the story forward, however and unlike other adaptations, which add and subtract from the original source material, in this case, at least the additions are masterfully done and cause the viewer to believe they were indeed in the book too, until upon re-reading the novella they find them suddenly missing.

I have to admit to be somewhat dismayed when I first saw the film on video under its newly re-mastered colourisation. This was the case with the original DVD, until it was reissued as a black and white and colour version.

For me, just like the mood and atmosphere within the first Frankenstein, King Kong and The Day The Earth Stood Still films the original black and white version of A Christmas Carol was perfect without the addition of colour.

I expect at some point, given the chance I will watch it either on TV, if it is aired, as it most rightly should be, or on DVD over this seasonal period. I usually watch it late in the evening, with a cup of tea and a mince pie with maybe a wee dram o’ whisky at the end.

Hmm sounds good to me…perhaps this evening.

Until next time have fun!

Tim Perkins…

December 7th 2009

2 comments:

Peter Richardson said...

Yes, I'm like you Tim when it comes to reissuing black and white films in colour. They are beautiful as they are and were designed to be watched in black and white, with really atmospheric lighting which is often somewhat compromised in the colorized versions.

And I love Alastair Sim's portrayal of Scrooge - a really consummate actor, in fact all of his roles make for compelling viewing.

Tim Perkins said...

Hi Peter,

Yes it was the lighting, which made the films so atmospheric - much like black & white drawings...you cannot dazzle folks with colour.

Wasn't he a brilliant actor?!

Best,
Tim...
(''j)